Translate

Thursday, February 9, 2012

times, they are a-changin'


Hi! I hope your having a lovely day! I have a couple of photos to share that I think you'll enjoy. A
 while back my mom and I were looking through the cabinet of my grandma's old sewing machine. Within were little treasures of the past, untouched for years, waiting patiently to be discovered by an inquisitive soul. Tucked way back in one of the bottom drawers was this little book, What Every Girl Should Know. The cover is missing, it's pages are yellowed and a bit tattered, but it  contains all the wisdom that the modern mother of 1925 passed on to her daughter regarding the facts of life.

1925 seems like so very long ago. It was the roaring 20's and people across America were dancing the Charleston. It was the year that Mt. Rushmore was first proposed, and the year President Coolidge's inauguration was broadcast live on 21 radio stations. The very first motel opened it's doors for business, Walter Percy Chrysler founded Chrysler Corp, and legislation was passed in Tennessee making it illegal to teach the theory of evolution. In 1925 Mussolini became dictator of Italy, and Adolph Hitler published Mein Kampf. An eventful year!   

Click on the photos to enlarge them and take a peek at this most modern resource for teaching about the birds and the bees 'back in the day.' I couldn't help but smile as I skimmed through the book, imagining my grandma teaching these very same things to my aunt!


And now back to 2012, an eventful year in it's on right. I hope that your day is filled with happiness and sunshine! If the sun isn't actually shining in your neck of the woods, then I hope you find a way to make your own. 

As for me, I'm having lunch with my dear friend, her daughter, and my daughter at Olive Garden. We can't get enough of the soup and salad special! Hugs,

No comments:

Post a Comment