Translate

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Summertime Lemonade Card


Hello sweet friends! We're gearing up for a new challenge at the Frilly and Funkie Blog! Sue is our hostess and she asks that we create a vintage project featuring the warm colors of summer. Think red, orange, or sunshine yellow, and for an added twist you must include a summer bloom. For the challenge specifics please click on the blog link above and join us in the crafty fun!

This challenge had me reminiscing about my childhood summers. I grew up in a wonderful little farm town in Iowa. Everyone knew everyone and children could wander safely to the playground, dime store, or library. We lived about half a block from North 2nd Street; the center of commerce in our tiny town. The photo below is the way that street looks today. It really hasn't changed very much in 50 years. 


With the business district so close to our front porch my sister and I capitalized on our good fortune by setting up the occasional lemonade stand on hot summer days (with the help of our amazing mother!) These happy memories were my inspiration for this weeks card.               


Once I decided on the theme of a vintage lemonade stand I knew my main color would be a sunny yellow. I mixed my own color concoctions using reinkers and perfect pearl powder then began staining my cardstock, flowers, and just about everything else in the surrounding area. As luck would have it I had a doctor appointment the day I crafted this card. Needless to say I was explaining that my fingers and nails are not always yellow! I went searching for the perfect image to use as a focal point. I found this lovely digital file on Etsy from Arinaatelierdigital


I also used patterned papers from Prima's Cartographer collection. I layered everything up and distressed all the edges. Above is a peek at the inside. I had so much fun making this card and taking a journey down memory lane! 


Thank you for coming by to take a peek at my project. I hope you'll share one of your own creations with us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge. If you've never played along before then your missing out on all the fun! 
With Independence Day just around the corner I wish you a happy and safe holiday weekend. May you make memories to carry with you for years to come! 

Hugs,  

10 comments:

  1. You totally rocked this challenge, Nancy! LOVE the vintage image you used and your flowers are just exquisite! TOTALLY gorgeous piece of work...I'm drooling!


    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made me long for fresh lemonade just by looking at this Nancy! It's not a tradition in the UK but I can imagine it gave you many hours of entrepreneurial enjoyment in your youth. Thanks for sharing your memories and your beautiful card. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is lovely! I also grew up in a small town, and you reminded me of wonderful memories. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is beautiful Nancy and brought back memories for me too, not making lemonade but my brother and I collecting pop bottles down at the beach and making a tidy profit! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gorgeous card! Lovely colours, Marlies

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous card. I love the image and how you made it and the pretty flowers pop off the card by setting them against the wood grain background.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card! Brought back memories of my Mom using lemons and simple syrup to make lemonade served over ice on hot, hot summer days. The image you used just reminded me of that. Love the flowers you used with the woodgrain background.Those leaves ste so pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really Lovely card. The faux wood background is perfect with the lemonade image and the stitching is a great additiion. Brings back sweet memories. Saw you over at F&F.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, this card is summery gorgeous!! love it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your guest designer post for Craft Hoarders so much, I had to take another peeky at your amazing blog. I'm adding you to my reader. Your work is just wonderful! xo

    ReplyDelete