Translate

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Lavender and Lace for Frilly and Funkie!


Hello again! I'm back two days in a row this week! Have you been up to any crafty adventures? I've been blessed with time in my craft room again, which I've come to believe is the best therapy in the world. 

We're launching a new two week challenge today at the Frilly and Funkie Blog! Suzz is our hostess with the theme of  It's Not Easy Being Green. In honor of Earth Day (April 22nd) she asks us to create an UPCYCLED project. Repurpose an existing item, recycle an element that would usually be thrown away, or use your paper scraps in a creative way.

At the end of the challenge the team will choose their top four picks. Our first place winner will be invited to join us in a Guest DT spot at the Frilly and Funkie Blog. Three additional talented participants will receive badges to display on their blogs. Everyone who enters and adheres to the challenge guidelines will be entered into a drawing to win a $25 spending spree at The Funkie Junkie Boutique! For entry specifics and  inspiration from my amazing teammates just click on the blog link above.

I rescued an old 'book box' from my Goodwill bag and upcycled it into this 'lavender and lace' storage container. It's photographed with a couple of vintage handkerchiefs, but it's true purpose will be to store my friend's car keys. She keeps losing her all key fobs and has to pay hundreds of dollars to get them replaced. Hopefully they'll be easier to keep track of with a dedicated home!

A 10

An altered shabby key is a natural focal point for this key storage box. I have a tutorial for the altered keys here. The key is surrounded by an abundance of  blooms and foliage, all sitting atop a pair of delicate die cut paper doilies. Linda recently started carrying the prettiest paper magnolia blossoms in her shop. I ordered 50 of them the minute I saw them! 


The container is gessoed and covered in Maja Design's beautiful Vintage Spring Basics paper collection. The tiny blooming roses are also handcrafted from Maja Design papers. You can find a tutorial for the roses on the sidebar of my blog. 

Pretty pearls and Prima's Art Stones added an extra shabby touch to the box.  



The natural twine bow is no surprise. I am addicted to bows. 


The interior of the box is lined with more design paper and embellished with another paper doily.  




Thanks so much for stopping by to visit me! Now it's your turn to post your gorgeous projects to the challenge. I can't wait to see what y'all will upcycle. I send wishes for a day filled with love, sunshine, and crafty fun! 

Hugs,



18 comments:

  1. Oh my how beautiful is your key box , your friend will not be losing her keys once she has received this .
    Gorgeous detail with the little pearls , eggs and flowers aww so full of gorgeousness Nancy.
    Take Care
    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nancy this is a gem! LOVE the doily hinge and lace peeping out from the box. Such a beautiful upcycle xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness! Such a beautiful and stunning box!!! Just love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I love how you have upcycled this box. This would be a fabulous gift to someone as well as a jewelry box! Stunning design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy gorgeous Nancy!! I just love the idea of making a box for my laces, and the palette you used is completely dreamy! Wonderful recycle project! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is stunning and will be treasured by your friend. It is almost too good for keys and putting the hankies in it makes me think that is what it should be used to store. The colour palette is so pretty and I love all the mixed media bits you have added along with the lovely flowers.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is a gorgeous upcycled box love the flowers and lace doilies. I'm sure your friend will love and cherish it .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy, your cards and projects are simply drop-dead gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy it's always a big pleasure visiting your blog. Your fabulous creations amaze me. You make awesome art. This book box is so elegant, pretty, romantic. It will look gorgeous anywhere. I just love the colors, the flowers, the nest, your doilies...yes everything about it.
    Thank you for sharing and for keeping on to inspire your followers.
    Hugs from Monica.... Spain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Nancy - this is just gorgeous !!!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breathtaking, my friend! It looks like a treasure from Grammy's attic, and that is lovely indeed! Your clusters of gorgeous flowers and pearls and that altered key make it truly special. You have a very lucky friend! Now if she loses her keys, she has no excuse. Just perfection in every detail! Sending you a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nanyc, this is sooooo pretty, and I know it was made with love. You can see your love and attention to detail on every square inch of this functional but artful shabbilicious altered box. Love the papers you chose, the doilies and those fantastic flowers! but the lock and key are what steal the show for me, and of course, I will be checking back to see that tutorial! So inspiring! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! That would be spelled N A N C Y! I will go write that on the board 100 times!

      Delete
  13. Breathtakingly lovely - the crackle, the flowers, the interior, the lace - magical as always, Nancy!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful upcycle! Love the little eggs nestled amidst the beautiful flora pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh My! This is 100% gorgeous! So many wonderful details to take in! Hugs, ChrisX

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lucky friend to receive such a beautiful gift ! The little lock and key are wonderful as are all the little details and your roses are stunning, as usual. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete