Translate

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Frilly and Funkie 'Autumn Splendor'


Hello and welcome! I'm happy to report that the rain has stopped and flood waters are receding here in Charleston. Many people displaced by flooding are still in shelters. Many bridges and roads are still deemed unsafe. Our schools, government offices, and many businesses remain closed (except for Walmart who NEVER closed-lol). People are gradually returning to normal routines and clean up is under way. Whether it's been war, earthquake, hurricanes, or flooding, Charlestonians seem to regroup quickly and work together towards recovery.  

We're starting off this wonderful Wednesday day with some more great news. It's beginning of a fabulous new challenge at The Frilly and Funkie Blog!

I'm hosting for the next two weeks, and I've chosen the theme of: Autumn Splendor! Simply create a vintage or shabby chic project using the rich colors of autumn, and remember to include an autumn leaf somewhere in your project.

For challenge details and exciting prize information just click on the blog link above. We'd love for everyone to join in, so pull out those seasonal supplies and get a jump on your fall crafting!


I love this season! I always get excited about traveling to the mountains for apple picking and leave watching, the first cup of hot cider, pumpkin desserts, and corn mazes. The inspiration for my card comes from the breathtaking fall foliage we enjoy on our fall holidays in the Smoky Mountains.      


I layered, distressed, and stitched Maja Design's Walking in the Forest collection to form the base of the card. An elegant autumn bouquet became the focal point. I die cut almost all of the embellishments using Alterations and Spellbinders dies, then began assembling my elements. The flowers are from Prima.  


Everything received a gentle dusting of Gesso. If you look closely you'll find a flourish liquid pearls tucked in among the leaves. As usual, my favorite final touch is a rustic twine bow.   


Thank you for coming by and spending some time with me! Your kindness and thoughtful comments are appreciated and treasured. I feel so blessed to have found such wonderful friends in the world of paper crafting.Wishing you a day filled with joy and laughter!

Hugs,

17 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy
    How devastating for your part of the world , i pray all will be well again and soon .
    Your card is outstanding , so beautiful and yes i found the pearl just tucked away in there. ......
    Take Care Nancy .
    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so sad all the devastation that took place in your area. Hope all will be well soon. This card is so beautiful, Nancy! Love that flower and leaves cluster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous with your signature layers, flowers and twine. Glad you personally escaped the worst of the devastating flooding.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  4. True Autumn Splendour! The smoky mountains sound like a great place to be in Fall! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just so stunning Nancy, so envious of your style and how you create these beautiful vintage pieces x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, I'm so happy your lovely city is recovering from the recent flooding! While I was happy our little town north of you was spared, I do have friends and family in Columbia, and it's devastating! Our prayers are with them!

    Love your challenge this month, and what a wonderful inspiration to finish up a few autumn birthday cards!

    As always, your card is breathtaking! The paper collection is a perfect choice to showcase that gorgeous spray of foliage and blossoms! And yes, I spotted the Liquid Pearls! It's exactly the special touch I love about your exquisite work! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness the flooding is over Nancy! And despite it all you've conjured up this stunning card with the little hints of pearl and faded Autumnal charm. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been praying for your area. Such devastation, seems with water there is so much more work. A fire and it's gone but water is another story.
    Just a delightful card. Beautiful layers and lovely colors for our wonderful fall season. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy,
    So glad know that you and your family are okay. I have family in Columbia so grateful to know they are okay. My prayers are with you all. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy,
    So glad know that you and your family are okay. I have family in Columbia so grateful to know they are okay. My prayers are with you all. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An absolutely stunning shabby chic card, Nancy - I fell in love with it at first sight! And a wonderful challenge theme too.
    So glad to hear that you have been spared the worst of the flooding, and that things are starting to get back to normal. As you say, it's amazing what people can get through when they pull together.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nancy, you do make the most beautiful cards.
    I am sure it will take a good while for Charleston to clean up after all the rain. I love walking around Charleston and eating in so many very good restaurants.
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your card is truly a stand out card. The colours, the layout and creativity is stunning. Hope your town is getting back to something near normal? Glad I popped by your blog from the challenge blog as I really wouldn't have wanted to miss a stunner like this x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this card so much, in fact this is my second time to visit it. I thought surely I would have commented, but maybe was on my phone... Your cards inspire me like no other! I love to inspect every single creation thoroughly! This one is one for the books, love the color and layers so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful Nancy! I try to find inspiration again, but it isn't easy!

    Big Hugs Ellen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card Nancy, it's wonderfully shabby chic and has a lovely vintage look to it. ! I'm so sorry to hear about the flooding, but pleased you were spared. Laughed at your Walmart comment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW!!! your cards are amazing! Just gorgeous <3 I'm becoming a follower of your blog and can't wait to se more of your projects :-)

    ReplyDelete