Translate

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Winter Wishes Card


Welcome friends! I hope you're staying warm and cozy. Winter in Charleston is usually sunny and mild with the occasional chilly day, though I easily empathize with those in colder climates. I grew up in the Midwest and Northwest so I'm no stranger to snow and freezing temperatures.

We're introducing a new challenge at the Frilly and Funkie Blog! Our theme is Winter Wishes. You may create any type of project, card, or layout that shares what you love about winter. Further details can be accessed by clicking on the link above. 

Playing in the snow is among my most beloved childhood memories. We made snow angels, snow forts, and snowmen. I remember sledding expeditions and epic snowball fights. I drew inspiration for my card from these recollections of frosty fun. We just returned from a week at Disney World, so I also gave a little nod to my favorite Disney film, Frozen.



I layered, distressed, and stitched the base of my card with papers from Maja's Vintage Frost Basics collection.
Unfortunately this is one of those cards that looks better in person. I'm posting quite a few photos because I've had a difficult time capturing the details.

I added clumps of glitter glass to achieve the look of ice crystals, though it's a bit hard to see because they're clear. The whole thing absolutely sparkles and shines like tree branches after an ice storm. I also applied Snowtex for a frosted, snowy appearance.    





Here are a couple close ups of the layered snowflakes. I created them using a Tim Holtz die. 



Below is a little peek inside. I crafted a pocket to hold a mat for the greeting, plus there is plenty of space leftover to tuck in a gift card. 



Thank you for sharing your time with me today. I treasure each of my crafty friends. Your creativity inspires me, and your words of encouragement warm my heart. 

Hugs,


Other Supplies: Snowtex, Glitter Glass, miniature branches from my local craft store, Memory Box Frozen border die.

16 comments:

  1. Oh goodness Nancy! I'm so glad we have these close up shots to pour over the details on this delicious card. The way those multi-layered snowflakes have come together and co-odinated so perfectly with that shabby chic background is a delight to behold and I adore your nod to Frozen! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks stunning in the photo, so I can't even imagine how breath taking it must be in person. Those snowflakes are beautiful and what is all that texture below the snowflakes? It looks amazing frosty and I can see myself walking in a winter wonderland. Now following, can't wait to see your creations in 2015.
    Hugs
    Georgie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous, Nancy! I can only imagine how beautiful it must be IRL. I'm in love with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow wow wow Nancy! This is the most gorgeous winter card I have ever seen!! Those dreamy colours and amazing layered snowflakes! Those ice crystals are fabulous, I bet it really does look sparkly in real life!!

    You mentioned it was glass glitter, but I've never seen glitter quite that bit or shaped like that before. Any chance you could let me know what brand...or maybe a link??

    Thanks Nancy and big giant hugs to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! This is a work of art! So many amazing details and I love the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a gorgeous card, Nancy! While I'm not a snow and ice fan (we get lots of ice in Maryland!) I love depictions of it!! Your card captures the beauty and sparkle of winter so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breathtakingly stunning Nancy! All those wonderful layers and embellishments in such wonderful wintry colours. Fabulous! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning card Nancy! I'm always blown away with the level of detail you achieve. Beautiful! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing, as always, Nancy. I, too, love the ice crystals and the lovely sparkle. I adore your beautiful layered snowflakes. You always make the Maja papers look fabulous! I'm drooling over this one.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Frozen card is absolutely stunning! I can see the sparkles and all the winter beauty. Well done Nancy! I have completely fallen in love with your work ♡♡♡ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Frozen card is absolutely stunning! I can see the sparkles and all the winter beauty. Well done Nancy! I have completely fallen in love with your work ♡♡♡ xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Nancy! I'm stunned by all your beautiful projects <3 and it will be a true pleasure for me to follow your blog :-) Love from Cathrine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nancy, I'm blushing because I thought I had left you a comment on your awesome inspirational card! Sometimes I get distracted and probably forgot to hit the publish button! So sorry, as your card was truly inspirational to me in the making of my Winter card for my sister. I love all the delicate layers, the snowflakes, and that great icy looking glitter glass you've added as a special finishing touch. The gumdrops were so inspirational to me that I made a special trip to my very local craft store to pick up something similar. Your card was a true inspirational piece! Again, so sorry I did not leave a comment sooner!

    Thank you for your absolutely heart warming comment on my Winter card. My sister really loved it, and it was great to see her facial expression when she opened it! Something I would not have had the pleasure of if I sent it in the mail. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete