Translate

Monday, October 22, 2012

Apple Streusel Coffee Cake



Hi! I hope it's been a great Monday for everyone! I was blessed to spend a joyful day of lunch and shopping with my daughter, grand-girl, and one of my very best friends. Time with the people I love is so precious to me. It was the perfect way to spend a Monday. 

Once I was back home I was hit by the baking bug, so I preheated my oven and pulled out this recipe that's been in my family for ages. I made this Apple Streusel Coffee Cake often while in college. I was in nursing school and we took turns bringing tasty treats on the days we had clinical. Over the years it's become one of my go-to recipes for gift giving and pot-lucks. This scrumptious cake is irresistibly moist. It's layered with apples, streusel, and finished with a sweet glaze. With the bounty of apples this time of year it's the perfect way to celebrate the harvest season. When I have time I make my own apple filling, but when you're in a rush the canned filling is a real time saver. I hope you'll enjoy this cake as much as we do!   

Oh! I have some happy news to share as well! My secret garden card was chosen as the winner of this weeks challenge at the Shabby Tea Room.  I am so very honored! What a perfect ending to a lovely day. 

Thank you so much for spending some time here at my blog! I hope your day is filled with happiness, laughter and a wee bit of magic (my Irish soul insisted I add that last bit:-) Hugs,   
Apple Streusel Coffee Cake 

(click here for printable recipe)
  
Ingredients:
1 20 oz can Apple Pie Filling (or see directions below for homemade filling) 
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 cup packed Brown Sugar
1 cup chopped Nuts (Pecans or Walnuts)
3 cups Flour
1 cup Sugar
1 ½ cup Milk
½ cup Butter, softened
3 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
3 Eggs
3 Tbsp. Butter, melted

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350
Grease a 13 X 9 pan
Combine Pie Filling & Cinnamon – set aside. Combine Brown Sugar and Nuts – set aside. In large bowl combine Flour, Sugar, Milk, ½ cup Butter, Baking Powder, Salt, & Eggs. Mix on low 30 seconds beat on medium 2 minutes. Pour ½ Batter into prepared pan. Spoon ½ Pie Filling evenly over batter. Spread ½ Brown Sugar mixture evenly over pie filling. Add remaining Batter to pan and spread remaining Pie Filling over top. Mix 3 Tbsp. melted Butter with remaining Brown Sugar mixture. Spread evenly over top of cake.
Bake 45-50 minutes until tester comes out clean.     

Glaze
1 ½ cup Powdered Sugar
2 Tbsp. Butter
1 ½ tsp. Vanilla
4-5 tsp. hot Water

Combine all ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cake 20 minutes out of oven.


* For homemade apple filling: Place 4-5 peeled, cored, and sliced cooking apples, ½ cup brown sugar, ½ stick butter, 1tsp. cinnamon, and ¼ ~½ tsp. salt in a sauce pan over low to medium heat.  Heat until apples are slightly softened.  You use this instead of the canned pie filling/cinnamon mixture. The measurements for this are approximate as there were no actual measurements to begin with and it depends a lot on the size/type of your apples. The amount of sugar can be changed depending on the tartness of your apples. 

8 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks delish and I will definitely have to try it out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your recipe on Pinterest, it looks so good! =)
    Im a new follower of your blog, I love all things vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making this, as I type. It's on the last 10 in the oven and smells fantastical!! Thank You for the fabulous recipe. The gals at work would thank you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recipe sounds wonderful. Going to try it. Love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is now on my list of things to bake! Thank you Nancy - I love a recipe I can taste before even making it! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely delicious.
    Thank you for this fabulous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hubs can't do cinnamon so I made this with Cherry Pie Filling and Almond Flavoring and it was Awesome!
    Thanks for the delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is one of the first I have come across that is not covered in ad's thank you! I am definitely going to try this recipe and check out your blog

    ReplyDelete